Allow me to explain something…
YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE YOUR IDEAS/BELIEFS SHIELDED FROM CRITICISM.
I’m sick of hearing things like, “If all theists and atheists kept their thoughts to themselves, things would be more peaceful”.
If using my BRAIN to THINK CRITICALLY and discuss things with others in a REASONABLE (ah, but there’s the rub…) manner makes me a “militant” atheist, then… lol I guess I am.
Militant, after all, means aggressive/combative, and you’re damn right I’m combative about religious people in power if their agenda is to push the bullshit of their religion on others.
If my views make you go, “boo hoo! I don’t like you saying that because… I just don’t like it!”
Please keep in mind that YOU DON’T HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED.
In the words of Stephen Fry,
"It’s now very common to hear people say, ‘I’m rather offended by that’, as if that gives them certain rights. It’s no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. ‘I’m offended by that.’ Well, so fucking what?"
I absolutely do not have to respect your beliefs.
I HAVE THE RIGHT, IN FACT, TO FIND YOU BATSHIT INSANE. Deal with it.
All I have to do is respect your right to choose your beliefs.
If no one ever debated with one another, or philosophized, or tried to reason, or thought critically, or asked questions, can you imagine where we’d be?
Also, a good debate =/= “shoving one’s opinions down another’s throat”
The metaphor of shoving something down another person’s throat carries the connotation of forcing someone to think or behave in a certain way.
In order to force someone to do something, you have to have power over them.
How many openly atheist people do we have in power in the U.S.?
tl;dr: I’m not going to promote stagnation by keeping quiet in order to “keep the peace” (peace?!) so that I don’t ~offend your delicate sensibilities and make you cry into your security blanket because I introduced a new idea that’s different from the one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.
- universalbrit reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- universally-me reblogged this from simpleatheists and added:
- laikas-owner reblogged this from sagansense
- therodentqueen likes this
- retrospectiveregret likes this
- pushtheheart likes this
- naturallogarithmofz likes this
- ralash-mashulayek likes this
- gnarlysnarly likes this
- gnarlysnarly reblogged this from sagansense
- mysteriesrising likes this
- zenlightened reblogged this from sagansense
- radon-t likes this
- sagansense reblogged this from retromantique
- wilder-than reblogged this from retromantique
- brad-t likes this
- retromantique reblogged this from damaris-rising and added:
- ontopofyou reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- slowwagon likes this
- smalltownbeatnik likes this
- c0rndogz likes this
- ohsoang reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- mikejudd likes this
- pyac reblogged this from dittolicous
- jzumun likes this
- spencella likes this
- keithanime likes this
- sunnreys likes this
- fewthe3rd likes this
- nardaviel reblogged this from damaris-rising
- nardaviel likes this
- majortool likes this
- calebgoodfellow likes this
- kmanovaere likes this
- simpleatheists reblogged this from damaris-rising
- azeixal reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- alwayswonderingme likes this
- akijayer likes this
- fursona3 reblogged this from dweebscar
- squirrelio likes this
- thederidiabletower reblogged this from jesusduggar
- lisa4lotr likes this
- oneofmylegs likes this
- bathtub-ducky likes this
- kylehasatumblr reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- 8manderz8 reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- jesusduggar reblogged this from skepticalavenger and added:
- calypsolemon likes this
- swimminginmusic reblogged this from jean-valgina
- madfatcynic likes this